London Heathrow Airport is currently the busiest airport in Europe and 7th busiest in the world. The airport, opened in 1946, is located 22km west from London City. There are more than 80 million passengers passing through this airport every year.
London Heathrow is a hub to British Airways and Virgin Atlantic from where passengers can access 80 different airlines to 180 destinations in 85 countries.
The airport is a modern facility with many shops, restaurants, cafes and multiple charging stations (before and after security) or lounges.
The airport is open 24/7, however Terminals 2 and 4 might be closing its transit zones overnight.
To find out which terminal your flight departs from, check the airport’s official page.
London Heathrow Airport Transit
Catching a connecting flight at huge airports such as London Heathrow Airport might seem a bit scary but all routes here are well navigated and even transportation between terminals is well managed. However, allow extra time during your connections as the airport might get busier during peak hours.If you bought your flights on the same ticket and just transferring, the Flight Connection buses which will take you to your departure terminal without leaving the passenger-only area. See the official guiding video.If you’ve booked two flights separately, in most cases you’ll need to pick up your checked bags and check-in for your connecting flight. If so, simply exit through Arrivals and check-in at Departures.LHR has got 4 Terminals with a bus and train shuttle between them.Terminal 2 - Terminal 3
- Walk via the pedestrian underpass. Journey time is about 10 minutes
Terminal 2 or Terminal 3 - Terminal 4 and 5
- Free shuttle trains run between Heathrow Central station (Terminals 2 and 3) and Terminal 4 or Terminal 5 every 20 minutes. Journey time is about 20 minutes
- You may also use a London Underground train (free if you are a holder of London Oyster card or a contactless payment card (will not be charged). Journey time is about 16 minutes
Terminal 4 - Terminal 5
- There is a free shuttle bus number 482 or 490 (destination Heathrow Terminal 5) from Bus stop 7. The journey takes about 20 minutes
- In the other direction, the buses will show the following destinations: Bus 482 - Southall Town Hall, Bus 490 - Pools on the Park
London Heathrow Airport Transfer
Getting to the city from London Heathrow is easy with multiple options.
Heathrow Express Train
Other than regular trains which run every 30 minutes you may choose the Express Trains (direct) with air-conditioning and WiFi run between Heathrow Terminals and London Paddington Station every 15 minutes with journey time approximately 15 minutes (few minutes longer from T4 and T5).
Tickets are available online or via the Heathrow Express app as well as in Arrivals or at the stations.
£22 off-peak and £25 peak
peak times are 6:30am - 9:30am or 4pm - 7pm, Monday – Friday excluding UK Bank Holidays.
Express Class Returns
£37 at all times
You can book your tickets in advance (90 days) from just £5.50 one way at weekends and £12.10 one way on weekdays.
You may pay contactless on Heathrow Express Train.
London Underground’s Piccadilly Line
It is the most cost-effective rail route between Heathrow and the capital.
The journey time to the city of London from the Heathrow airport is just under an hour, with multiple stops alogn the way.
The trains departure from all terminals approximately every 10 minutes.
£5.10 (Mon - Fri, 06:30 - 09:30) and £3.10 (all other times)
You'll need an Oyster card or pay by a contactless payment card.
A one-day Travelcard (unlimited travel in Zones 1-6)
£18.10 (use anytime) or £12.70 (only for off-peak travel)
Heathrow – Oxford, Watford Junction, Feltham, Guildford (bus)
There are few couches running between the airport and those cities. See summary below or visit the official Heathrow airport page with detailed information.
The Airline coach runs from Heathrow direct to Oxford train station (for trains to Birmingham New Street or Bicester Village).
- Frequency: Hourly
- Journey time: Approximately 80 minutes
- Fare: Single £23, day return £25, return £30.
Green Line route 724 runs from Heathrow to Watford Junction (for trains to the Midlands, Manchester, Liverpool, north-west England and Scotland).
- Frequency: 2 hourly
- Journey time: Approximately 1 hour
- Fare: From £11 single, £15 return
The 285 and 490 buses runs from Heathrow to Feltham (for trains to Richmond, Camberley, Bracknell, London Waterloo, Clapham Junction and the South).
- Frequency: Up to every 12 minutes
- Journey time: Approximately 30 minutes
- Fare: Adult Single £1.50 (Contactless or Oyster only – cash not accepted)
The RailAir2 service between Heathrow and Guildford operates hourly with a journey time of 45 minutes.
- Frequency: Up to every hour
- Journey time: Approximately 45 minutes
- Fare: Adult Single £9, Adult Period Return £16.20
Accomodation near the airport