Suvarnabhumi, also known as Bangkok Airport (unofficialy) is the largest international Thai airport and has just been opened in 2006. The previous main airport Don Mueang has now become a low-cost airlines hub for Bangkok.
The airport is currently the main hub for Thai Airways International, Thai Smile Airways, and Bangkok Airways. It also serves as regional gateway and connecting point for various foreign carriers.
Suvarnabhumi airport is currently the 17th busiest airport in the world, eleventh busiest airport in Asia, having handled 63 million passengers in 2018. A total of 95 airlines operates within this airport.
Terminal is open 24/7.
Bangkok Suvarnabhumi Airport Transit
There is only 1 terminal at Bangkok Suvarnabhumi Airport. The transit ways to connection flights are well signed. As long as your international flights are on the same flight ticket, you don't have to leave transit zone. If there are on seperate, you have to pickup your luggage after immigration control.
For domestic flights connections, it is neccessary to pass immigration control.There are usually very long queues for Passport checks, allow enough time for your transfers.For transfers to Don Mueang, follow information in Shuttle section below
Bangkok Suvarnabhumi Airport Transfer
Suvarnabhumi Airport – Don Mueang Airport shuttle Bus
Free Shuttle Bus
- Recommended transport between airports.
- The air-conditioned shuttle bus is running through expressway – (the fastest way) Din Daeng Expressway & Don Mueang Tollway
- Departures from 5:00 – 8:00, 11:30 – 16:00, 19:30 – 00:00 every half hour.
- Departures from 8:00 – 11:00, 16:12 – 19:00 every 12 minutes
- Boarding pass/Travel proof for following flight (printed or on phone) and Passport may be required upon check-in
- Travel time around 50 minutes depending on trafficThe
Shuttle bus departs from Terminal 1 of Don Mueang Airport. Follow the signs ”shuttle bus” outside of the 1st floor, at the door 6.
Buses drop off passengers on the departure level of Suvarnabhumi Airport at the 4th Floor, door 5.
Airport link + Taxi for a quick visit
In case of longer layover and Airport link + Taxi might be an option for those who wish to visit Bangkok’s surroundings.
Don Mueang Airport – Phaya Thai, where it is possible to catch Airport link train to Suvarnabhumi airport. Taxi price is around
500 THBcurrently £12.87
Airport Rail Link
The Airport Rail link operates air-conditioned trains daily from 06:00 to 24:00, with commuter City Line trains departing every 10 minutes during peak hours (06:00-09:00 and 16:00-20:00) and 15 minutes off peak and weekends.
Standard fare for the City Line is between 15–45 baht depending on distance.
- The Airport Rail Link station is located on B Level, two floors below the arrival hall.
- Buy tickets (single way token) in vending machines on B level, by an currency exchange booths (preferably exchange cash here as good rates apply)
- To Phaya Thai station use Blue City line train
Suvarnabhumi Airport to Phayathai Station
(BTS – skytrain interchange) fare
45 THBcurrently £1.16.
Suvarnabhumi Airport to Makkasan Station
(MRT – subway interchange) fare
35 THBcurrently £0.90.
Train ends at Phaya Thai station – an interchange of Airport link and BTS (city rail)
Please note: Allow enough time to transport as the traffic in Bangkok is usually very heavy.
Accomodation near the airport